Hardwick and New Braintree Community Emergency Response Team
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates citizens like you about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact your area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.
Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help.
CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community.
What CERT Volunteers Do
- If there is a disaster in our community we assist public safety personnel.
- We attend events to help out with crowd control and parking cars.
What CERT Volunteers Learn and Practice
- First aid
- Emergency Operations Centers (EOC) Management and Operations
- Data and networking support for the EOC
- Shelter operations
- Mass care
- Light Search and Rescue
- National Weather Service SKYWARN Spotter Program
- Fire Supression
- And more
How You Can Get Involved
- All CERT members are subject to a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check done by the Town of Hardwick.
- Attend a CERT meeting each month to learn about trainings and events the CERT team has volunteered for.
- Commit to doing two or more events a year.
- When there is a disaster, and you are available, go to the command post and ask what you can do to help.
- Remember to take care of yourself and family first.
For more information, contact:
307 Main Street
Gilbertville, MA 01031
phone: (413) 477-6032
To learn about events, meeting, and training, go to our Facebook page.